Lawful is not awful, it’s covenant, it’s Spirit-led. It’s love.
In Messianic Judaism, Hebrew roots congregations, as well as various forms of Judaism, there is a weekly Bible reading plan that the whole world (of those groups) studies in unity. This week’s Torah portion is called “Beha’alotcha”, which means in Hebrew “Lift Up”. Can you find a theme or connection between these various passages?
[Note: Torah is the first five books of the Bible, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, also known as the Law. Haftarah is “partings” or portions of the prophets. The Gospels are the written recordings about the life of Yeshua / Jesus, the Messiah, found in the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Messianic Judaism, as well as those in various Hebrew roots congregations, believe Yeshua or Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah and includes the Gospels as well as the rest of the New Testament in their studies whereas Judaism does not.]
This week’s Torah portion is called “Bamidbar”, which means in Hebrew, “In The Wilderness”. Notice the theme of being in the wilderness in the following passages. How does this apply to you today? How could it apply in the future?
Earlier this afternoon on the Feast of Firstfruits (Leviticus 23:4-14; I Corinthians 15:20-23), the day Jesus was resurrected, which happens to correspond with Easter this year, my teenage son, who lives in Maryland with his dad, sent me a text, ‘Happy Easter’. I responded with, ‘Happy Firstfruits’. While lounging in the cockpit on the back of our sailboat enjoying the blue skies and fair winds here in Texas, it is then my son and I transitioned from texts to an important phone conversation.
“Mom, Why don’t you say, ‘Happy Easter’ anymore?”, my soon to be 15 year old inquired.
“I’m happy to explain it to you, Christian, if you really want to know. But I should forewarn you, it will probably not be what you want to hear.”
After all, what kid, teenager or not, doesn’t want an Easter basket full of candy and other free goodies, right?!
After asking my son, Christian, if he remembered learning about Emperor Constantine in 6th grade when we did cyber school that year, I went on to tell him what the school’s curriculum did not share with us…
How Easter & Sunday Became Doctrines In The Church
Although Christians have been persecuted since shortly after Jesus’ death and resurrection, most of whom were Messianic Jews in the beginning, the Roman Emperor Constantine seemed to significantly alter church history – some for the better, but more for the worse.
- 312 A.D.
In 312 A.D., Constantine experienced a vision of a cross in the sun, which he and his army interpreted as a vision pertaining to Jesus Christ. Up until then and even thereafter, Constantine had been a worshiper of various Roman gods, such as the Sun-god.
- 313 A.D.
Most likely due to his vision, Constantine ended persecution of the Christians in 313 A.D. through the ‘Edict of Milan’. This act was the ‘for the better’, but below it gets far worse!
- 321 A.D.
However, a few years later on March 7, 321 A.D., out of his love and worship for his false Sun-god, which the Roman people worshiped specifically on the 1st day of the week, as opposed to Jews and Christians that worshiped their God on the 7th day of the week, Constantine decided to order all businesses and activities, except certain agriculture, to cease on Sundays. Sunday, or ‘dies Solis’, the day of the Sun, was declared the Roman day of rest in honor of their Sun-god. In doing so, the Emperor’s motive was to unify the God of the Holy Scriptures with the pagan, Roman sun-god, by decreeing everyone worship and rest the same day.
“Do not learn the way of the Gentiles…”
Jeremiah 10:2 (NKJV)
- 325 A.D.
A few years after creating a day of rest to honor the Roman sun-god, the Emperor Constantine along with the Roman Catholic Church, in 325 A.D. at the famous ‘Council of Nicaea’, discussed and decided on many theological issues. It was at this summit, doctrines such as the ‘Trinity’ were established as well as the erroneous and poisonous virus of Anti-Semitism still transmitted in churches today. In that meeting, the early church fathers along with the Emperor, decided ‘Easter’ should be celebrated rather than Passover, to purposely separate themselves from the Jews following ‘that evil way’, which happens to be the only way, according to Yahweh. Those attending this meeting, clearly, did not understand when Jesus said, ‘Do this in remembrance of Me’, He and His disciples were doing Passover (Luke 22) not Easter.
Historical records tells us Constantine wrote the following edict:
“It was, in the first place, declared improper to follow the custom of the Jews in the celebration of this holy festival, because, their hands having been stained with crime, the minds of these wretched men are necessarily blinded. By rejecting their custom, we establish and hand down to succeeding ages one which is more reasonable. …
“Let us, then, have nothing in common with the Jews, who are our adversaries. … Let us with one accord walk therein, my much-honoured brethren, studiously avoiding all contact with that evil way. They boast that without their instructions we should be unable to commemorate the festival properly. This is the highest pitch of absurdity. For how can they entertain right views on any point who, after having compassed the death of the Lord, being out of their minds, are guided not by sound reason, but by an unrestrained passion, wherever their innate madness carries them.”
“To sum up in few words: By the unanimous judgment of all, it has been decided that the most holy festival of Easter should be everywhere celebrated on one and the same day, and it is not seemly that in so holy a thing there should be any division.”
“And you shall not walk in the statues of the nation which I am casting out before you; for they commit all these things, and therefore, I abhor them…I am the LORD your God, who has separated you from the peoples.”
Leviticus 20:23-24 (NKJV)
- 365 A.D.
Many years later, the Council of Laodicea made decisions regarding what day is the Sabbath. Keep in mind the Romans were used to resting on Sunday in order to worship the Sun-god. This was their proclamation about the Sabbath – notice the virus of Anti-Semitism continues to spread throughout the Roman Catholic Church in those days:
“Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord’s Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ” (Council of Laodicea, 29th Canon).
You’ll notice in that statement the Council of Laodicea essentially acknowledges the Jews have the seventh-day Sabbath as the correct, God-appointed day of rest, but out of the Romans’ hardened, prejudiced heart, they decreed believers must work on the Sabbath while Sunday, the day already designated as a day of rest to honor their false sun-god was more appropriate. It was in this verdict, many Christians, out of fear of persecutions and being shunned, adhered to this changing of God’s law.
“When the LORD your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way…”
Deuteronomy 12:29-31 (NKJV)
- Early 400’s A.D.
Augustine, a theologian of that era, had this to say:
“The holy doctors of the church have decreed that all the glory of the Jewish Sabbath is transferred to it [Sunday]. Let us therefore keep the Lord’s Day as the ancients were commanded to do the Sabbath” (Robert Cox, Sabbath Laws and Sabbath Duties, 1853, p. 284).
If you are interested in many more alarming facts coming directly from the Roman Catholic Church regarding their decision to change the Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day, click this link:
In regards to the term, ‘Easter’, this is the English translation of the fertility goddess known as ‘Ishtar’ in the Babylonian culture, or ‘Eastra’ in the Anglo-Saxon culture, or ‘Astarte’ in the Canaan culture, or ‘Inanna’ in the Sumerian culture, or as ‘Venus’ in the Roman culture, or ‘Aprhodite’ in the Greek culture. Regardless of which culture, fertility and sex was the heart of this goddess and sacrifices were made to her around Pesach / Passover.
In the Babylonian culture, the people would sacrifice infants and use the baby’s blood to dye eggs – hence, the tradition of Easter eggs! Still want to dye eggs with YOUR babies? I didn’t think so. (source: https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571 and http://www.thinknot.net/easter.htm )
“This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;”
Ephesians 4:17-18 (NKJV)
In summary, I pray the truths I shared with my son, not coincidentally named Christian, will guide him as he and others continue their faith journey with God and circumnavigate His course.
As for me and my boat, we will serve the LORD.
From heartache to a heart full of love, Carrie shares her testimony.
(Recorded Jan 9, 2019) In this follow up recording from the previous one (see ‘The Jesus Jackpot 777’), Carrie shares a specific revelation regarding the 3rd Trumpet, Wormwood. #Wormwood #GreatShaking #prophecy #3rdtrumpet
(Recorded Jan 8, 2019) In this episode, Carrie shares a personal story about her marriage with Jerry and how the Spirit used it all to reveal to her an often overlooked true love story.
Sometimes life presents difficult unforeseen problems. If you find yourself needing answers or overwhelmed in the various manifestations being thrown your way, may this worship video encourage you. Shalom!
Recently, I had a peculiar eye-opening dream that I felt compelled to share with you. To learn more about dreams, you may find this video teaching helpful:
For those interested in learning more about prophecy, specifically how to discern between not just true prophets from false ones, but also the difference between the gift of prophecy and the office of a prophet, I pray this teaching blesses you and your relationship with the Father through His Son, Jesus/Yeshua. This video also explains why prophecies don’t always manifest. If you don’t have time to watch, keep reading below the video for the overall summary. Shalom!
“All prophets have the gift of prophecy, but not all who have the gift of prophecy are prophets.”
Gift of Prophecy vs. Prophet
Before digging into the how to discern between a true prophet and a false one, let’s discuss hearing God and the gift of prophecy.
Hearing God: Jesus explained during His ministry that He is the Great Shepherd and He is after the lost sheep of Israel (but that is an entirely different topic worth your time). See John 10.Those who believe Jesus/Yeshua is the son of God who came to take away the sins of the world become adopted into His flock as His sheep. Upon receiving the Holy Spirit, Jesus tells us we will be able to hear His voice (John 10:27).
We won’t necessarily hear His voice immediately or atleast be able to distinguish His voice instantly, but in time, as we get to know Him through His word, we will eventually start developing the ability to recognize His voice…what is from Him and what is of Satan. So, eventually, all believers should be able to hear His voice. To learn more about hearing God, click here.
Gift of Prophecy: After one has learned how to hear the Holy Spirit for themselves, they may be activated with the gift of prophecy. This gift is one of the many gifts of the Holy Spirit and is designed to edify, exhort, and comfort others. The various realms of prophecy, especially the ‘word of knowledge’ aspect not only encourages believers, but helps convince non-believers that God is real and wants a personal intimate relationship with each of us. The Apostle Paul explains we all should (at some point) be able to prophesy as our hearing skills and faith develops by responding in obedience to what we are hearing. No prophecy, or spoken voice of the Spirit, will ever contradict God’s written voice found in the Bible. See 1 Corinthians 12-14. James 2:22-25.
“All prophets have the gift of prophecy, but not all who have the gift of prophecy are prophets.”
Many will have the ‘gift of prophecy’, but not all will be prophets of God, or in the ‘office’ of a prophet. Discerning the difference between a true prophet of God versus a false one, will also help you understand the difference of one who can flow in the gift but not be an actual prophet.
How to Discern Between A True Prophet Vs A False Prophet
- A True Prophet: WILL acknowledge both the Father and the Son (Yahweh/YHVH, as the one true living God, and His Son, Jesus Christ/Yeshua, the Messiah). Whereas, a false prophet will not. This is a very elementary principle. James 2:19; 1 John 2:22-23
- A True Prophet: WILL be called by God through typically a vision or dream versus their own wishful thinking. If you evaluate all the prophets of the Bible, the vast majority the LORD spoke to them through a vision, dream, or some type of visual experience. To learn more about those topics specifically, watch my teachings “You Might Be A Prophet IF” and “Learn To Discern”. Numbers 12:6
- A True Prophet: Does NOT want to be a prophet. Whereas a false prophet promotes themselves and their status as a prophet, their merchandise, etc. Why? Because prophets are hated, persecuted, isolated, lonely, and usually killed not to mention, carry the burden of the prophecy itself. A false prophet wants to be a prophet for fame, respect, power, and control. True prophets are humble, often isolated (especially when being called by God and refined before ministering), often lowly in position, seem peculiar or different from the world (think of David and Amos how they were just shepherds of no status and the fact that John the Baptist ate honeycomb and locusts!). False prophets want the glory and strive to be popular. They often are flashy, showy, performance driven, and driven by money. They often prophesy about their follower’s material possessions versus a heart for God. Jeremiah 20:7-10; Habakkuk 1:1-4
- A True Prophet: WILL most likely tell you what you NEED to hear, not what you WANT to hear. Hence, why the prophet was sent in the first place. Whereas, a false prophet will be all about telling you want sounds good to you. They can read the idols of your heart and therefore, tell you what your heart desires making you like them and that word. A true prophet’s message will be about cultivating an authentic relationship with God through Jesus, His Son, and far less about material fleshly things. Although a true prophet may at times provide an encouraging positive word if that is what God tells them you NEED to hear, it will more likely be a message of repentance, warning, or judgment. What I call a “Reflect. Correct. Direct.” type of message. Be more leery of prophets who give you words of ‘peace and prosperity’ than prophets who correct or warn you. But also remember, the gift of prophecy, in non-prophets, tends to be more encouraging. Always analyze the overall message though – does it point your heart towards an authentic relationship or fleshly things? Ezekiel 13-14
- A True Prophet: Will be all about “REPENT. Serve the LORD.” whereas a false prophet will be all about “RECEIVE. The Lord serves you!” Again, a true prophet could care less about your worldly goods or fleshly things and will be focused on the issues of your heart that need aligning to the Father and His Word. Jeremiah 23:9: Jeremiah 28.
- A True Prophet: The prophecy of a true prophet will probably** manifest whereas a false word will fall to the ground (fail). Deuteronomy 18:18-22; Jeremiah 28:9. Jeremiah 18.
IF the prophecy manifests, that could be a very good indication it is of the LORD. UNLESS, the overall message of that prophet is telling you to serve the idols of your heart, another God, man’s doctrines, or more worldly things versus the One True Living God and His ways, His laws, His will!! THIS IS A TEST FROM GOD. Jesus and His Word tell us many false prophets as well as one main false prophet will arise specifically to lure you away from an authentic relationship with the Father through Jesus and surrendered obedience to God. Deuteronomy 12:32-13:10; Matthew 24; Revelation 12-13.
IF the prophecy does NOT manifest, that could be due to a few reasons:
- It came from the so-called prophet’s/person’s heart (imagination) not God.
- The person/prophet added to or subtracted from the word itself. Never do this as this will cause an inaccurate word. Just give the word if you genuinely believe it is from God and He has released you to speak such things. Don’t over-analyze it, don’t add to it to help it make sense, and don’t hold back either. Don’t make it fit what you want. Don’t get it twisted by trying to predict what it will look like. Deuteronomy 12:32
- The people repented or disobeyed, depending on if the prophecy was a call to repentance (much more common) or a prosperous prophecy (very rare), and so it was a prophecy conditioned on the response of the people. The end goal of all true prophets who prophesy repentance, warning, and judgment is that the prophecy NOT manifest for that means the people repented.Jeremiah 18.
To learn more about this topic, get in the Word for yourself, seek the Father and His Spirit with all your heart. You can also go to my YouTube channel to watch some of my other prophetic teachings (check out the playlists).